January problem solving workshop
Thursday 16th January 6:30pm at On the Beach offices, Aeroworks
We'll be holding another problem solving workshop this month. We'll all work on the same problem in pairs using exercism before holding a discussion on what we learnt and the different approaches we took.
Today we're doing the Bowling exercise.
What is exercism?
Exercism.io is a curated set of programming exercises that can be used to practice and hone your code skills. We'll be working through one of the Ruby challenges, to be revealed on the day.
Pairing on the problem
We'll work on the problem in pairs, often referred to as pair programming. If you've never paired before this is a great opportunity to experience it for the the first time. GDS published a great blog post with tips on effective pair programming. We recommend you read it, even if you've already experienced pair programming before.
I'm new to Ruby, can I still come?
Of course! Our events often contain a mix of new and experienced Ruby programmers. Even if you are brand new to Ruby you'll have the opportunity to work through the exercise with the help of someone more experienced.
Preparing for the meetup
- To take part in the exercise you'll ideally have a laptop with Ruby installed. Don't worry if you don't have one though as you'll still be able to pair with someone else who does.
- If you have a laptop, follow the installation instructions for excercism before you arrive to save time
- You'll also want to install the Minitest gem by running the following command from your terminal:
gem install minitest
- If you have problems with any of the above, don't stress it, We'll make sure there are folks available to help you get set up before the event starts
- Familiarise yourself with our code of conduct so you know what is expected of attendees
- 6:30pm Pre-workshop mingling and setup help
- 6:45pm Introduction and first half of the coding workshop
- 7:30pm Break with pizza and refreshments
- 8:00pm Second half of the coding workshop
- 8:30pm Final discussion
- 9:00pm Post-event social